Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A time out for a very important day!

When my son wakes up tomorrow, he will come downstairs to a playroom that wasn't there the night before!  It's his third birthday and I wanted to build him a space where he could play and have friends over while I did housework, sewed, or lollygagged online.  Here's a few pictures.  It's a work in progress, but total I have spent less than $10 so far on this project.  Some of the items were free finds through various social networks, items that have been in storage, and things I have made him.  I hope he likes it!  I'm still working on repurposing some old shelves and a bookcase to make a kitchen cupboard and fridge.  I'm also going to make a large felt play mat for him to build his train set on.

Now for the pics:
A table we had in the basement, new in box, from my mother-in-law.  We hadn't had space for it, so we made some.


Play kitchen I got free through a local network, pots and pans for less than $3 at JoAnn's, a few various garage sale finds, hot pads and curtains sewn by yours truly, and the bottle from a pint of Shatto chocolate milk I was kind enough to drink for him.

Fabric bag chair with snap off cover made entirely from scraps and my own fabric stock. Books were in storage since our last move and he's never read them!

The play area consists almost entirely of wooden toys.  I'm trying to get rid of all plastic and there is nothing here that lights up or makes sound!  Yay!

While this certainly didn't cost me much and a lot of it was things we already owned, having a playroom is going to be a great gift for James.  It's amazing how you can create a REALLY BIG present on a really small budget if you try.  I really enjoyed taking the time to put this together, and I can't wait to finish it up.  I hope he is excited about it as I am!

1 comments:

Jess said... [Reply to comment]

You are an awesome mom.
And James, how can you possibly be three?! You were the first baby I ever fell in love with, way back when . . .
Happy birth(ing) day to you both!

Post a Comment