Monday, June 21, 2010

And the big gold star goes to...


Pumping Moms
Seriously, I can't think of anyone that deserves a pat on the back more than a mom who is exclusively pumping, or for that matter, primarily pumping.  I've had the pleasure of knowing a few women who have done it.  Some had nipple problems or latch issues or had to go back to work.  Pumping is hard work.  Personally I've spent less than 5 hours of my 2 years and 3 months of breastfeeding experience pumping.  I did it to help with mastitis or relieve engorgement when I was in grad school.  And it's, well, B-O-R-I-N-G.  Since I don't pump often, I never got one of those fancy pumping bras, so when I pump, it's all hands on deck while listening to my Medela, which I swear is actually saying "lactating" as it pumps.  Really, listen to it sometime.

I figure a mom who exclusively pumps spends about 2 hours a day pumping (15 minutes pumping/setting up/cleaning up every 3 hours).  Two hours!  That comes out to about 2 1/2 days spent pumping a month.  That is selflessness.






So here are a few fabulous things to make every pumping moms life easier:
 A great breastmilk storage technique that takes up less space and makes thawing quick.  My pitiful stash is housed this way:





I removed the embedded video because it was slowing down the site, here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/v/h4nr7hxToiY&hl=en_US&fs=1&

A cute pumping bra. I just adore Pumpease's marketing campaign, someday I'd love to try one.


And some great lanisoh cream - pumping is hard on those nipples!

4 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

as an exclusive pumper... I say THANK YOU.. I think some people think it is easier than breastfeeding... or NOT breastfeeding.. but I work HARD to take care of my girl... to give her the milk she needs but can't give to her directly because I work a ton.
To any exclusive pumper I recommend the following : put your shields and bottles in the fridge between uses, use olive oil to care for your nipples, and when your supply gets low cuddle shirtless with you babe:)... it really gives us a boost! Thanks, ConnectedMom, for a shout out that made me proud to be a hard workin', pumping mom:)

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my gosh. I don't think I ever thought about how much time came out of my life for pumping when I went back to work. 2 1/2 days a month! Gavin better appreciate that when he gets older! :)

Whereby I provide brief summaries of books I've read so that you can talk about it and sound stupid because you haven't read the book said... [Reply to comment]

I pump (almost) exclusively and my pump has two phases: one for let down and one for actually getting the milk, and that makes life a lot easier. I made a recording of my son crying that I play if it's taking longer to pump, it usually gives me a boost.

Becky F. said... [Reply to comment]

Jen-I agree...THANK YOU! As a mom who also has to pump almost exclusively (we nurse only a couple times a week) it is really hard. There are so many days where I just want to throw in the towel but then I look at my son and know I am doing the right thing. Getting up in the middle of the night is the hardest, giving up my sleep, being attached to the wall, not being able to be out of my house for more than 3-4 hours at a time is difficult and exhausting. Thanks for the recognition though, it is so well appreciated!

Post a Comment