Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Her Crying Spot

A few weeks ago, my daughter got really upset about something and ran to my room.  I could hear her muffled sobs and walked back there to see what I could do.  I unwrapped her from the blankets she'd pulled off the bed and wrapped around herself, picked her up and held her tight.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?"

"I am just a little sad, so I came to my crying spot to feel better."

"Your crying spot?"

"Ya.  The place I go to feel safe and cry until I feel better."

"Oh, that's very smart!  Would you like me to leave you in your crying spot until you need me?"

"Yes, mama.  Thank you."

Since, every time she gets a little upset or doesn't want to talk, we ask her if she'd like to go to her crying spot and then call for us when she was ready for us.

What an ingenious idea!  A place you can go where you feel safe, comforted, and you can just feel whatever you need to feel.

We lost our seventh baby almost two weeks ago, and the idea of a safe place to grieve came back to me.  How many women suffering through the loss of a child put a smile on day after day and wonder when they can finally feel safe to actually feel what they need to feel?  How many times do we wish that we could run to the nearest hill, in the pouring rain, and sob all the anxiety and grief away where no one can hear?

How many times do we, as mothers and wives, just wish we could go somewhere to feel warm and comforted?

No matter the trials in our life, everyone needs to be able to let it all out sometimes.  Being a woman, and I speak from experience, we feel we need to take care of everyone else first and then deal with ourselves.  Not only is this unhealthy, but all the bottled up emotions have to eventually come out.

Everyone deserves their own place to do what they need to do, regardless of what that is.  It doesn't have to be a crying spot, but make a place of your own that is just yours.

Everyone has times where they're discouraged, sad, troubled, and grieving, and feeling safe can do a lot for letting that out.  Don't bottle things in.  Find a crying spot.  My daughter swears by them.

1 comments:

Giveaway Hound said... [Reply to comment]

Great post. I think we all need a crying spot sometimes. I'm sorry for your loss.

Post a Comment