Thursday, May 16, 2013

Three Things I Said Yes To This Week


Do you ever find yourself automatically vetoing something the kids want to do, not because it really is a bad idea, but because it might inconvenience you? 

(raises hand)

I'm trying to make a conscious effort to not have a knee-jerk No! reaction when they want to go somewhere, or do something, or even buy something (within financial reason) that I might not be on board with 100%. 

Following are three simple "yes" examples from our week.

The Park
We live in a single-family home with a nice fenced-in back yard. It's certainly easy for me to just open the back door and send the kids outside! However, they also crave climbing time. And time with other kids. So at least once a week, we get in the car and drive to a playground with ladders and slides or swings; things we don't have at home. Often they pretend the entire structure is a pirate ship, or a restaurant, or a roller coaster. Whether there are tons of other kids around or just a few, they always have a blast. When I'm tempted to think I'd rather just stay in or I have other more "important" errands to run, I stop and remember that they need (and love) this park time, and the only way they get it is if I prioritize it.


The Mud
Sometimes you just have to not care about how much clean up is involved and let your kids indulge in their dirt-loving play. My kids love mud: stomping in it, moving it from bucket to bucket, squishing it with their fingers and toes. I've had to undress them at the back door, rinse out clothes prior to washing them, and give them a bath in the middle of the day a couple of times. Yes, I might be tempted to think of all the "work" it creates for me. But, kids are washable, and if clothes stain, it's not the end of the world. Plus, this little boy's cute face always makes it worth it. 


The Journal
Earlier this week we went shopping with the intention of getting, among other things, new journals for the girls (ages 7 and 5). Now, by "journals" I mean they would be equally excited about 94-cent spiral notebooks, but I told E and J they could pick out whatever ones they wanted, and that they would be their special writing books for second grade and kindergarten, respectively. J picked out a red Hello Kitty one. E chose a large, purple, leather-bound one. The thought entered my mind, that's a pretty expensive blank book for a seven-year-old to write stories and lists and doodle in. But, in the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that big of a deal, and I've personally left Target with impulse purchases for myself that cost way more. So we bought it. And she is in love with it. I don't know what she'll use it for, but it's not for me to decide. 


What are you saying Yes! to this week?

Thanks for reading and have a blessed day.


4 comments:

Jen said... [Reply to comment]

Many, many times I have to remind myself of this. "No" is often easier, but "Yes" can make a world of difference in their day.

Miss Lindsey said... [Reply to comment]

*Also raises hand* We did have mud day this week, though and it was a blast! :) I find as my son is getting older and can do more on his own, I say 'no' more often - don't ask my why....but I've been more conscious of it, so I've been saying 'yes' as much as I can!

Heather said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for the great reminder! I certainly say no way too often; I'm a working Mom to a 4-year old and I also take online classes in the evenings. It's easier to say no when I'm so tired. I'm taking the summer off of school to dedicate some "yes time" to my son.

Jack Witson said... [Reply to comment]

A great article written with great hard work...i must say....a great work of your which shows...I like your site its quite informative and i would like to come here again as i get some time from my studies. And I will share it with my friends.
coach to penang

Post a Comment