Thursday, July 26, 2012

Some Thoughts on Homeschooling


Disclaimer: I am a complete novice at this home education thing; we are just now beginning our second year. Yet, I'm already hearing a lot of chatter, so today I'm sharing a few tidbits I have found to be common misconceptions.
But compulsory education works. I guess that depends on your goal. This article from Seth Godin (yes; that Squidoo guy) is one of my favorites on the subject.
You have no credentials! First I must say I greatly respect and admire teachers of all grade levels. Really. I'm not saying that because that's what homeschoolers are supposed to say so they don't sound snotty. I mean it. However, a teaching degree does not come with magical powers. I am qualified to teach my own child.
But what are you teaching her? E has significant input into what she studies (and when . . . and how); our "curriculum" is a joint effort. About month ago we brainstormed a few things she liked most about "school with Mommy" and made a short list: math, writing, and getting new books from the library. I helped her narrow down a few subjects to focus on, and she chose the 50 states, weather, and Spanish. So that's what we're doing. In a few months, we'll re-evaluate and continue or move on. It's really that simple.
How do you know she is learning? You mean without standardized tests and grades? Hmm . . . how do you know you are learning?
Oh, you're one of those Jesus-y people. Sadly, a lot of folks assume if you are a Christian and homeschool it's only because you must not want your children ________ [fill in the blank: exposed to other religions, learning about evolution, taking sex ed, studying history that's not biblical]. While that may be the case for some, we are just Christians who happen to homeschool. Or homeschoolers who happen to be Christians.
Why not just move to a better school district or try private school? I don't have an issue with any particular school, we live in what would be considered a "good" school district (whatever that means), and I have considered private school as an option. For me it's not about finding the right school; it's taking issue with the whole concept of schooling in its current state.
What about socialization? I cannot even bring myself to answer this one. However, if you enjoy a little snark as much as I do, you will love this post from Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers
Thanks for reading and have a blessed day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment